Hot Posts

6/recent/ticker-posts

The Broken Sandal Poem by Denise Levertov

The Broken Sandal Poem by Denise Levertov.

The Broken Sandal Poem

POEM:

Dreamed the thong of my sandal broke.
Nothing to hold it to my foot.
How shall I walk?
                Barefoot?
The sharp stones, the dirt. I would
hobble.
And–
Where was I going?
Where was I going I can’t
go to now, unless hurting?
Where am I standing, if I’m
to stand still now?

About Denise Levertov:

Over the span of a productive profession, Denise Levertov made an exceptionally respected assemblage of verse that mirrors her convictions as a craftsman and a humanist. Her work grasps a wide assortment of classifications and subjects, including nature verses, love poems, dissent verse, and verse propelled by her confidence in God. "Poise, adoration, and quality are words that strike a chord as one grabs to portray . . . one of America's most regarded artists," composed Amy Gerstler in the Los Angeles Times Book Review. Gerstler included that a "peruser jabbing her nose into any Levertov book indiscriminately winds up within the sight of a reasonable uncluttered voice—a voice focused on intense perception and commitment with the natural, in the entirety of its chaperon excellence, secret and torment."